I truly believe that everyone deserves to live in a beautiful space regardless of the budget. Here I designed two similar spaces with extremely different budgets. Of course, designing a room with a huge budget isn't exactly difficult. The real challenge is designing a room with a modest budget and a high end feel.
Keep these tips in mind when designing your space:
1. Be Patient
Shopping on a budget takes time, but don't settle for pieces you don't absolutely love.
2. Gather Inspirational Photos
This will give you something to ground your research on. It's amazing what google will turn up when you search "gray tufted sofa". You can find a lovely piece at any price!
3. Choose your Materials Carefully
The price of a sofa or chair can be significantly impacted by the fabric. Choose durable less expensive materials to keep costs down.
4. Ask yourself, "Do I really need it?"
Accent pieces can eat away are your budget if you're not careful. Make sure the piece is not only decorative but also functional if it's going to cost more than 5% of your total budget.
5. Shop Around!
It's so important to shop around. Last year I bought two tulip chair that completely stole my heart in the showroom. I impulsively bought them, but in the months that followed I've seen similar chairs for for less.
Items in "High End" Design:
- Gray Sofa from west elm: $1,699
- Coffee Table from Zinc Door: $1,461
- Accent Table from Zinc Door: $688
- Chandelier from Lumens.com: $3,905
- Yellow Chair from One Kings Lane: $5,000 (for the pair). Item no longer available.
- Teal Chair from Crate and Barrel: $1,099
- Mirror from Layla Grace: $848
Items in the "Low End" Design:
- Gray Tufted Sofa on Amazon.com: $1,200
- Coffee Table on Amazon.com: $299
- Chandelier on Overstocked.com: $145
- Yellow Tufted Chair from Target: $379.99
- Blue Chair form Kirkland's: $79.99
- Mirror on Overstock.com: $198.99
Live Beautifully Tip:
Do not rush your design decision. It's important to be comfortable esthetically and financially during the design process. Don't worry, it will get done...